[Sussex] kernel 2.6

David Chapman dokterdave at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 18 23:46:56 UTC 2004

I have been playing with the 2.6 kernel on my SuSE box and have a bit of a
problem.

My current /etc/fstab looks like this

/dev/sdc3            /                    ext3       defaults              1 1
/dev/sdd4            /home           ext3       defaults              1 2
/dev/sdd1            /opt               ext3       defaults              1 2
/dev/sdb4            /var/cache     ext3       defaults              1 2
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs   noauto                0 0

/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,sync      0 0
/dev/sdc1            /boot                ext3       defaults              1 2
/dev/sda1            /windows/C           ntfs       defaults              0 0
/dev/sdb1            /windows/D           ntfs       defaults              0 0
/dev/sdb3            /windows/F           vfat       defaults              0 0
/dev/sde5            /windows/G           ntfs       defaults              0 0
/dev/sdc2            swap                  swap       pri=42               0 0

But the 2.6 kernel thinks /dev/sda is /dev/sde
				       /dev/sdb is /dev/sda
				      /dev/sdc is /dev/sdb
				      /dev/sdd is /dev/sdc
				      /dev/sde is /dev/sdd

/dev/sda is a narrow (8bit) scsi channel with a DVD drive
/dev/sdb/c/d/e are on a scsi lvd (16bit) channel

The Gentoo 2004 live CD also see's the scsi channels in the "wrong" order.
So it must be a kernel 2.6 thing.

After commenting out all the unnessasary entries in /etc/fstab and appending
root=/dev/sdb3 to my Grub entry, 2.6 boots but hangs at

starting file access monitoring deamon

Does anyone have a suggestion.
Or shall I wait till May when the next version of SUSE comes out, which seems
like giving up.