[Sussex] kernel 2.6

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 08:13:32 UTC 2004

 --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> However, will upgrading my laptop I did read that "devfs" is not
> "OBSOLETE" and is being replaced by udev.  This might be causing
> some/all
> of your problems.  Are you running devfs and devfsd?  If

It doesn't look as though he is, Steve. Typically devfs device names look
like:

/dev/ide/disk0/channel1/part1

> udev (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/) is changing
> the way that the kernel handles devices.  The device namespace and major
> number space (with the growth of USB devices and large SCSI systems) is
> not coping and work is afoot to remove the information to userland where
> it belongs.

Udev has been in existance for some time now. Of course, I am no fan of
udev or its kindred, and as such am sticking with a static /dev tree.
What's that? Major/minor numbers? heh, I mknod up and down...

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

experience will probably kill you. :)"