[Sussex] kernel 2.6

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Mar 19 14:24:38 UTC 2004

Hi David

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:05:57PM +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2004 13:43, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > David
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:11:35PM +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> > > The system.map for the 2.6 kernel is very different from a 2.4
> > > system.map.
> > >
> > > Will a 2.6 system.map work with a 2.4 kernel or is there a way of using
> > > the 2 kernels with there own system.map
> >
> > In a word not.  The System map is there for each kernel build.  So my
> > 2.4.24 system map will not work with your 2.4.24 unless we have selected
> > the same options.
> >
> > When you do a "make install" under 2.6 the kernel image and the system map
> > for it is copied into /boot.  Why would you want to use a 2.4 system map?
> How can I have 2x system.map in /boot
> 1 for 2.4
> 1 for 2.6

The normal way is to have "System.map" (please note captialization) as a
symlink to the default kernel.  Normally the newly built kernel is the
default kerenel.

When "make install" does it's thing it will copy the system map for the
kernel image just built as "System.map-<version>" (renaming any existing
file to "System.map-<version>.old") and will then link "System.map" to
it.  The newly built kernel image is named "vmlinuz-<version" and the
.config file (which holds your selection of kernel build paramters as
"config-<version>"  (symlinks to these are also created, as is creating
.old versions if files already exist).

Unless you are doing opps and/or profiling you will not need the System.map
to point to anything other than the image under test.