[Sussex] Re: Magazines and developer questions etc.

Mike Diack mike_diack at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:03:15 UTC 2004

Hi Geoff and everyone
I'd concur to a large extent about the magazines being out of date etc.
Geoff, but I do like Format's style.
But I agree, as a developer, Dr Dobbs & C/C++ Journal are absolutely
excellent. (By the way, if you've not
used it, can I commend to you Gimpel Software's PCLint/Flexelint -
absolutely brilliant software and worth every penny).
Splint is also very good but won't handle C++ :( (but is at least free in
all senses being GPL'ed).

My background as a developer in case you are interested:
I don't currently develop much for Linux (but am looking to - see my
question). I've been developing for DOS and OS/2 for 8 years (stopped that
in 1999), and Win32 from 99 to present.
I use VC6 day to day (am thoroughly unimpressed with VS .Net 2003, I
actually think that although it's more standards compliant for unmanaged
code, it's actually a serious
PIA and offers crappy back compatibility for legacy code). I've been using C
since 1987 and C++ since 1998. Under Win32 I've had the joy of MFC (not half
as bad as everyone makes out), ATL/COM (a god awful mess!) and WTL (See the
Sourceforge page, which I actually think is a surprisingly good effort to
build on ATL).

Now my question:
I've done a bit of work under Linux with gcc, make and gdb, but can you
offer advice about a good IDE (preferably not emacs) etc to bring it
all together and give me some of the niceness that I enjoy with the IDE of
VS6?
I tried KDevelop 3 a while back and was quite impressed - any other
thoughts/recommendations?

Regards
Mike