[Sussex] Gentoo and printers?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 8 21:32:11 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Having just got gentoo installed last week (again), I'm struggling to
configure printing.

I've got cups and foomatic installed (and the hpijs driver as both my
printers are HP devices).

Now, when I installed the system, I used genkernel to compile the
system, which normally includes everything including the kitchen sink(
as I understand it).

So I'm presuming that it should normally have included parallel port
support - the inkjet printer is connected that way (whereas the laser
printer is connected via a network hub). So how should I check to see if
there is parallel support (either in the kernel and/or as a module)?

As I'd rather not go meddling with kernels and the like as thats rather
over my head!

Any assistance is much appreciated.

regards

John D.