[Sussex] Gentoo and printers?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 9 09:31:33 UTC 2004

Thanks for the reply Geoff,

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 23:13, Geoffrey John Teale wrote:
<snip>

> lsmod
>
> ... this command lists the modules currently loaded.  If you're kernel
> has parallel support compiled as modules then you would expect to see
> the following lines somewhere in the output:
>
> lp                     11044  0
> parport_pc             35680  1
> parport                42216  2 parport_pc,lp

Damn, no sign of any of them :(

<snip>

> modprobe parport
> modprobe parport_pc
> modprobe lp
>
> ... if any of those modules fail to load you'll see a message like this:
>
> FATAL: Module lp not found

bash-2.05b# modprobe parport
bash-2.05b# modprobe parport_pc
bash-2.05b# modprobe lp
FATAL: Module lp not found.
bash-2.05b#

Damn Damn Damn.

<snip>

> If that didn't work (i.e. the modules weren't there) the you're going to
> have to look at your kernel config - but I'll let you try those things
> first.
</snip>

So it looks like I need to look at the kernel config. I wonder why,
because the bit about using genkernel says that it creates a full set of
modules, boot image, initrd, etc etc. I should have thought that "a full
set of modules would have included the ones needed to be able to config
the printing.

Hum!

Is this basically what I'd have to do (I found this, can't recall where,
but it sort of sounded about right, but I'm not quite sure)

<quote>
# cd /usr/src/linux
#make menuconfig

Device Drivers > [*]Parallel port support

#make && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Then mount /boot partition, copy across the kernel image from
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/bzImage, unmount the boot
partition.
</quote>

or would this be "barking up the wrong tree"??

regards

John D.