[Sussex] Cautionary notes - amavis & spamassassin

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Wed Nov 10 14:01:38 UTC 2004

Having just been 'educated' by linux again, I thought I'd post a few notes
of caution on leading edge spam and virus scanning ...

I upgraded to SpamAssassin 3.0.1 and found my email system was broken.
Specific issues are:

- SpamAssassin can't distinguish between versions of Berkeley DB - so if,
like me you've a system with more than one version installed you're likely
to stuff the Bayes databases
- Support for DCC and Pyzor is broken in SpamAssassin 3.0.1 - so do without
them or expect trouble
- Amavisd-new 2 has some subtle differences in the way email forwarding and
quarantining are handled - it's not just a simple cut and paste job to
upgrade from earlier versions

The problems with SpamAssassin 3.0.1 are mentioned in the relevant mailing
lists but no solutions are presented.

One answer to the Berkeley DB issue is to use MySQL to store the Bayes (and
auto whitelist) databases.  That works well - so far.  The only issue is to
make sure you add the user name under which you train SpamAssassin as
bayes_sql_override_username - if you're doing a site-wide installation.
Otherwise SpamAssassin will say there are no spam tokens in the database.

Oh well, off to a darkened room for a lie down ...

  Iain