[Sussex] X automatic Login

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 11 09:41:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 07:56, Stephen Williams wrote:
> John,
>
> How's your Italian? Parliamo Italiano?
>
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:16, John D. wrote:
> > >
> > > http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html
> > >
> > Sorry, a little bit of a hijack.
> >
> > Thomas's reply reminded me, I've still got a few bit's and pieces to
> > tidy up with this new shiney Gentoo install (various settings and so far
> > about 100 or so config files to look into :-().
> >
> > The first one being, where in hells name is the config setting for
> > evolution so that when I click on a link, the bugger opens a browser?
> >
> > My previous install of mandrake, links in "evo", automatically opened
> > epiphany, but this one doesn't (yet), and I'll be blowed if I can find
> > that as an option.
> >
> > Could anyone enlighten me?
> >

> Try this link:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=228827&highlight=evolution+browser
>

> Basically enter the following commands, modified to suit your choice of
> browser, for https:
>
> $ gconftool-2 --type=string --set
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command "firefox %s"
> $ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/need-terminal false
> $ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/enabled true
>
> For http:
>
> $ gconftool-2 --type=string --set
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command "firefox %s"
> $ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/need-terminal false
> $ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled
> true
Well I've tried that, but as I don't have firefox installed, I changed
the first line so it reflected mozilla (the properties for my desktop
icon showing as /usr/bin/mozilla) but it doesn't seem to have worked, I
also tried the same but using the %s "thing" on the end of
/usr/bin/mozilla, again it didn't work (I did this as root rather than
user as per the example - so it should be a global change ?), and using
my windows user mentality, I closed the session to see if that made any
difference.

I've also tried the mod that Geoff suggested, but that doesn't seem to
have worked either?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

regards

John D.