[Sussex] More gentoo questions - windows partition

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 11 12:01:55 UTC 2004

Ok, I now can't sus out how to mount my windows partition

Thomas had a couple of suggestions, though at the moment I've got my
fstab looking like this (which is what I understand it to say in the
gentoo wiki)
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14
2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
/dev/hda1		/mnt/c		ntfs		defaults,ro		0 0
/dev/hda2		/boot		ext3		noauto,noatime		1 2
/dev/hda5		/		reiserfs	noatime			0 1
/dev/hda6		/home		reiserfs	noatime,		0 1
/dev/SWAP		none		swap		sw			0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660		noauto,ro,user		0 0
#/dev/fd0		/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto			0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none			/proc		proc		defaults		0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none			/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec	0 0

But at the moment, it doesn't show in the /mnt directory only the cdrom
and floppy. If I try the URL that it(the windows partition) used to use,
then it says about no mount point for /mnt/c (though I think that I'd
call it windows).

How do I work out how to make a new mount point for my windows
partition?

regards

John D.