[Sussex] Shutting down from X

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Nov 11 20:44:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:20:39PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> ok, I now have a wonderful system that boots into X and launches mysql,
> gpsd and gpsdrive automatically (thatnks geoff, thomas and others, but
> mainly thomas...</grovel>)
>
> I now would like to shutdown the system after I exit X.

Why?  If your laptop speaks ACPI, you can set it up so that hitting the
power button will perform a clean shutdown....

> I have gpsdrive etc in my .xinitrc tyo start them at the same time as x,
> is there a file that will let me put in programes to execute after x
> quits?

If you use startx or xinit, then you can set up an ~/.xserverrc -

    #!/bin/sh
    X :0
    # Add progs to run after X quits

If you ended up using gdm (sorry: still catching up on email...) then
you can put stuff in /etc/X11/gdm/{Pre,Post}Session too

> To ensure a secure shutdown, I plan on using sudo, keeping my root
> password from the world! :)

Don't forget that people with physical access can always yank the cable
and/or batteries....  Or if you're not careful: the whole laptop :-)

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com