[Sussex] I had this book...

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Nov 12 16:16:38 UTC 2004

I think I had the 1979 edition - it's funny, but I know university
graduates who didn't learn this level of computer science in their
computer science degrees.  They spent their entire time on things that
sat above the OS level.  It worries me that a level of "How computers
work" expressed in a Ladybird book in 1971 is now (in some Unis at
least) considered not important enough and too complex to teach to
university students.

It's like there's this implicit assumption that people won't need to
implement Operating Systems again as they've already been done.  I see a
danger that we'll reach a point in the future where there are very few
people left alive who really understand how computers work... *shudder*

--
Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedltd.com>
Cmed Technology