[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 09:02:31 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Disaster struck, because at stupid Oclock this morning, I'd managed to really
screw it up. For the life of me, I don't know what I did wrong, but the
bugger wouldn't boot, then after various go's at changing things it booted,
then it wouldn't fire up a GUI etc etc etc

Only what I should have expected really. That's what happens when you get
meddlers like me who don't really know what the hell they're doing - just
messing around changing things on a hit or miss basis.

Anyway, to cut a short story even shorter, for the moment, I've put knoppix on
my hard drive so I've got something, then i can go back to "square one" and
re-install again ? dunno, I could see if I can do something with this? as the
object of the exercise is not to end up going for a particular distro "per
se", but to end up with a distro that isn't one of them on the endless every
6 months download/buy/obtain the latest version. That's the round about I
wanted to get off.

I must have missed something in the first place as I checked everything that I
could think of and changed as many settings etc as I could find ideas and
suggestions for (jesus, doesn't gentoo forums get bloody boring after about 6
hours of searching, reading and meddling! :( )

So, right now, square one is as good a place as any to recommence!

What would the straw poll opinion be. Re-install gentoo? or try learning how
to modify Knoppix into normal debian?

As  a mediocre system is better than no system as all !
regards

John D.