[Sussex] Domain registrar recomendations

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Thu Nov 18 10:18:14 UTC 2004

On 18 Nov 2004, at 09:50, Gareth Ablett wrote:

>  From: Diego Moore [mailto:diego.moore at gmail.com]
>  Subject: [Sussex] Domain registrar recomendations
>
>> I'm thinking of grouping the many domains (20+) into one regsitrar,
>> most of which are with easily.co.uk
>>
>> I've used joker.com before and I really like their features, but they
>> dont do co.uk domains which is a big nono...
>>
>> I'm a bit of a power freak and would like advanced control over the
>> domains. I like the advanced options in the contol panel of joker.com
>> (anyone else used them?).
>>
>> Has anyone got any recomendations? I'm just tired of sending faxes,
>> paying £10 for minor modifications and easily just does not cut it
>> anymore. But I'm also not inrerested in building and mantining my own
>> DNS server!
>
> Hi Diego,
>
> I'll use 123-reg.co.uk they have a good control panel with options to
> do almost anything and I believe its free at the moment to transfer
> domains into an account with them (I might be wrong I remember them
> mentioning it a while ago)

But it's 123-reg... the same 123reg that's part of the HostEurope
group! HostEurope wouldnt' know a reliable internet service if it
slapped them in the face.

As you can tell, I really don't like the HostEurope or any of their
2bit companies they've spawned. Now pipex (once a good ISP) have
purchased them - they obviously didn't speak to the rest of the
internet community at large... it's akin to that simpsons episode where
Homer buys the 4x4... then everyone points out it's the crappy 'ladies'
version of the car, and everyone laughs at him, until he gets rid of it
to someone else (Marge - who then thankfully crashes it and it blows
up).

4x4 = HostEurope
Homer = Pipex
Marge = who knows, lets hope they crash and burn soon ;)

Anyway, back to work :)

Jon