[Sussex] my rant tonight

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 23:17:48 UTC 2004

I'm big time annoyed tonight...

I'm looking for an address on map24.com
I fire up IE as the JRE was had not been setup for Firefox on this
machine last time I used map24. But for some reason IE 6 has blocked
the Java app... strange as I have not installed XP SP2 yet Maybe it
was one of the many patches!

So I change the settings for this site only, restart IE and still
nothing. Oh well, good excuse to set the JRE for Firefox but lets do
it from the average-typical-joe-blog-first-time-Firefox-user to test
the end user experience! Might come in handy next time someone to whom
I recommended Firefox calls me :

ma24.com > Install Missing plugins > J2SE50 > Next > Next > Error!
(cant remember the exact details).

So I repeat the above step

ma24.com > Install Missing plugins > J2SE50 > Next > Next > Error!
(cant remember the exact details).

Ok, plan B:
Click the the Mozilla Plug-in Finder Service link
(https://update.mozilla.org/plugins/):

THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS, PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER.

Oh dear!

Ok, plan C:
java.com > Download > Download
The download page loads and I wait for the download to start, one of
thoses pages where the download takes some time to check probaply
agains leechers. Then I see a quick flash on the top bar about
allowing the download or installer, not sure as it was too quick
because the page has now loaded and java wants to serve me a java
applet, to which Firefox responds?

Install Missing plugins!!

<grrrr...>

Let me click on the download link and then quckly click to allow the
installer. Nope. Not fast enough. Try again, nope, no, nah...

I give up.

Plan D:

Kill Firefox > map24.com > Install Missing plugins > J2SE50 > Next >
Next... > Finish > Restart Firefox > map24.com

BINGO!

I know this is getting long, but I imagine you get the picture. This
is unreal! Surely 'WE' can do better. Do we really think your Grandma
would have gone as far as plan D?

This stinks, it makes me want to become a luddite. Am I alone tonight?