[Sussex] Printers and Gentoo (again)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 29 13:34:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 08:18 +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:

> You haven't disabled your parallel port in your BIOS have you?
>
> Steve W.

No, not intentionally, and I doubt the repeated re-installs of linux
over the last couple of weeks would have had any effect, though having
just checked, I can't see anything that would change anything.

The only thing that I can think of, that may have made any difference,
is upgrading my kernel about 4 or 5 days ago, and as I use genkernel
because I don't know enough about this hardware (well more of a case
that make menuconfig throws up so many unknown parameters, I wouldn't
really know what to enable, build in, set as module or leave out!) and
I'm wondering if there is some way that I could have missed a stage of
something ? Though I don't see how I could have, I just follow the
instructions and the post daft questions if theres something that's not
proceeding as per the instructions.

I think what I'll do, is change it so that the <*> selections where I
want the "things" running, I'll change to <M>, and just do the rest of
the make make modules install etc etc etc, that way the facilities
should be "there" and I can find them easily with modprobe.

Do you think that's gonna be the wisest move ??

regards

John D.