[Sussex] A letter to our MEPs and MPs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Oct 11 12:12:43 UTC 2004

Geoff

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:50:39PM +0100, Geoff Teale wrote:
> OK.  To be rigourous we should reference Knuths open letter to the US
> PTO regarding the reason why it is illogical to patent software
> (explaining who Knuth is and why his opinion is worth at least as much
> as the an businessmans):
>
> http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/knuth-to-pto.txt

I will read it and add in an approprate refernces.

> .. we should also state clearly that we support the efforts of the Free
> Software Foundation with regard to Software Patents and give the address
> of the Free Software Foundations european website - pointing out that
> the EU respects the FSF(E) enough to include them on the panel assessing
> Microsofts appeal in the European antitrust case.

Yes, that too.

I have just added a link to the petition against Software Patents on
the SLUG website (as no one as objected to the letter to date).  If
you click on it it will take you to a page were you can sign up.
They are targeting 1,000,000 and currently have 361,220 signed up.