[Sussex] X Server problems

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Thu Oct 14 15:34:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:08:43PM +0100, Paul Baines wrote:
> Does anybody know a Debian package for auto-detecting the graphics
> card in my machine (to save me opening it up)? I've been having
> problems getting my X dispays running properly on a Dell Optiplex
> GX50, I think it is because my XFree86 version is a bit old & doesn't
> incorporate support for the Intel i810 chipset that I (think) my PC
> has... So what would any of you experts suggest? Do I just do
> "#apt-get install xfree86-base" and update to a newer version that may
> support my (suspected) chipset or do something else?

Assuming that you are using debian sarge and you're using xfree86 (i.e.
the xserver-xfree86 package) then this should help you along:

# apt-get install discover read-edid pciutils
# dpkg-reconfigure --priority=medium xserver-xfree86

should allow it to auto-detect the video card and lead you through it
without having to play about with XF86Config-4 much (if at all).

Disclaimer: I'm doing this largely from memory - you might have to use
            "--priority=low" instead and perhaps even "--force" too

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com