[Sussex] Black screen while booting after new kernel compilation

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Oct 22 14:27:17 UTC 2004

Antoine

I run a number of systems but here I am talking about my laptop which
does use X.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 02:48:59PM +0200, Antoine JOSSERAND wrote:
> >It sounds like a framebuffer problem you're having. As a temporary
> >fix, pass "vga=normal" when booting in lilo.
> >So if your kernel image is called "linux", try this at the lilo screen:
> >linux vga=normal
> >
> I tried that yesterday but it didn't change anything.
>
> >As for a real fix to the problem... You'll need to fiddle with your
> >kernel configuration (you've most likely made a mistake, easy enough),
> >Under "console drivers",
> >
> >[*] VGA text console
> >[*] Video mode selection support

Like you my seetings are

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

> >Then under Frame-buffer support
> >
> >[*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
> >[*]   VESA VGA graphics console

I don't have FB support.

#
# Graphics support
#
# CONFIG_FB is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y

> I use menuconfig.
> But there is no "console drivers" category.
>
> I have found :
>
> Device drivers --> Graphics support --> Console display driver support
>
> and then I have :
>
> --- VGA text console ? ?
> [*] Video mode selection support ? ?
> <M> MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL) ? ?
> < > Framebuffer Console support

In there I just have

--- VGA text console ? ?
[*] Video mode selection support ? ?
< > MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL) ? ?

But as I have turned of Frame buffers I'm not at all supprised :-)

IIRC framebuffers are only useful if you're going to spend a lot of
time using text consoles, so I don't bother with them.  I just use
X (Gnome) and lots of terminal windows.