[Sussex] Changing the Website

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Oct 22 23:08:51 UTC 2004

Guys

If you've just read my post on the "crack" of our site and the SLUGMoot
sign up form then here are my thoughts on how to change the site.

One way in which we could change things would be to go to a dynamic
web system.   If we did then I would use GeekLog (http://www.geeklog.net/).
Or go visit Groklaw (http://www.groklaw.net/) as another site driven by
GeekLog.

I have been playing with it and I can configure it (more or less) to how
I want.  I have been creating a page look and changing the templates to
XHTML from HTML and to support everything I want to do requires that I
modify the code (fine I can do that and release the patch).  Making it
backward compatible has proven to be a bitch.  :-)

The advantage of Geek log is that members could post there own news
and story.  If enough people (yes I mean you here) are prepared
to develop content for our site then it would work.  This may allow
some of you who are not as technical or don't make it to may Moots to
get more involved.

I could just write a simple news post second (with a little more
security than the SLUGMoot sign form has).

What is the view of the group on changing to using GeekLog?  This is my
preferred solution as GeekLog has more features than we need and can
easily be installed on the lug.org.uk system.

If your coming to the Moot next week then you can have a look as
I have GeekLog installed on my laptop and can show you want I'm
thinking of.  If there is general approval then when I get the
basic design done I can move the code onto a server (on a spare
IP address I own) so we can all play before the site goes live.

I've said enough today, now it is your turn.