[OT] Bush vs. Gore - Was: [Sussex] Linux is capitalism, Microsoft is communism?

Geoffrey John Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Tue Oct 26 22:48:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 22:54 +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Why not have a fully elected second chamber? The best legislatures are
> tricameral, so there's room for change.

In absolute agreement here.

> You've missed the point. It's an issue for the Americans, not us. Yes,
> the world may have to live with the result, but the rest of the world
> has no influence and no vote in the US Presidential elections.

True enough.  However, I can talk equally about Robert Mugabee, or in
the past Saddam Hussain.  The only difference here is that nobody is in
a position to use military might to resolve the problem in the USA.

If we all considered other countries problems to be their own business
then the history of the world would have been a very different place.

Like it or not the presidency of the USA has a strong effect on daily
life in the UK.  I find it distinctly irritating that the US president
is routinely referred to as "the leader of the free world" yet he only
has to win the votes of the American people.  So long as we don't get a
say in the US election I prefer to think of the US president as an
economic and political occupier of the western world.  ;-)

I shall ignore your comments about Lib-Dems and whelks on the basis that
some political arguements aren't worth starting... ;-)

--
Geoffrey John Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation