[Sussex] Bloody Distros (again!)/knoppix downloads

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Wed Oct 27 11:12:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:24:49PM +0100, John wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 14:03, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > Hi John.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > sorry to hear your having bad luck. Have you tried a new version of
> > Knoppix I had a go at HD install of the latest release and then added
> > gnome with out a problem but tbh as a distro for continued use it's a
> > little too packed full of software I will never use.
>
> The general plan, was that to have a distro that can be updated/upgraded
> without having to totally re-install the thing everytime a new version
> comes out i.e. install it (knoppix or gentoo or whatever) and then
> tailor it.

Have you tried Debian?

My worst problem with debian is that I no longer know how to install it.
My laptop was installed with "slink" (3, or 4 years ago?). Still fully
up-to-date thanks to easy updates...

> TBH knoppix has so many things that I don't even know what half of them
> are, let alone use them :)

Well, then you really shouldn't install so much then!

Have you tried Debian?

> > For on I don't use Opera so am not sure if it would be the software but
> > the best bet is to eliminate as much as possible.
> >
> > Just out of interest do you run a checksum on the file after to see if
> > it is in deed complete.
> >
> > All you can do is try a different mirror and a different browser (I
> > recommend firefox)
>
> I've never had problems with opera in the past, hence it was a natural
> choice to just "fire it up".

Have you tried....    oh...  I doubt whether opera is available in
debian...  Never needed to look...

> And no, things never got as far as finishing the download(s) it seems to
> slow down and eventually stop, If I then hit the stop and resume
> transfer it will start again, but then usually stops completely showing
> an error in the transfers window.

Knowing which error would help here...

Is that just http transfers or ftp too?

--