[Sussex] Linux is capitalism, Microsoft is communism?

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 15:26:02 UTC 2004

Steve,

Not at all.

That's like saying that mobile phones are the result of a religious
dictatorship, because at some time in the past there was an invention (the
printing press) which happened during a religious government, and all
current inventions "grew out" of that by way of some other intervening
steps.

ARPANET was the result of the military.

The Internet as she exists in 2004 is the result of capitalism. The "massive
growth phase" of the Internet happened after the US Government had given
over control to the private sector, let alone after the military had given
it over to the civilian sector.

Mark