[Sussex] September moot

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Sep 16 12:32:20 UTC 2004

Gavin

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:18:54AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:45:05 +0100 Steve Dobson wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 12:11:26AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > > if someone could show me the basics of selecting the right bits &
> > > compiling a kernel.
> >
> > I should be there with a laptop which has kernel source on it.  But
> > what bits are you thinking of?
>
> It's mainly being sure that I've got the right modules - especially for
> 2.6 which I understand is different from previous versions (I hope I'm
> not displaying too much ignorance here).

How can anyone have too much ignorance?

I've always been a fan of the quote "The more he knew the more he knew
how little he knew" (or something like that - you get my point).

Most of the modules you want are probably in the kernel source.  But there
are a few that are still separate (like the PCMCIA modules) that have
to be compiled separately.  Can you post the output of "lsmod"?  This
will give me a clue as to what you have loaded.

> I am currently running 2.2.20 (standard on my Woody CDs), but 2.6 - yes
> please, I like the idea of IDE CD-R recognition. I never have succeeded
> in getting SCSI emulation working & I have several CDs worth of music &
> stuff on my HDD. Kernel 2.6 would also fit in nicely with my planned
> upgrade to Sarge (which a very thoughtful friend gave to me on DVD).>
> Thanks for offering to help,

IDE CD-R recognition works just fine for me so I can show that working
on my laptop.

I'm running sarge and have been for quite a while now (must be over a
year).  You can upgrade to sarge and 2.6 very easily.

First run (as root) "apt-set" to configure your new media and the version
of Debian you want.

Then run "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Then do an "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6xxx" where xxx is the
version of the kernel you want for your system.  To have a look at
those available use "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6".