[Sussex] Router

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:31:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:26:49 +0100, Gareth Ablett
<gareth.ablett at itpserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have a router that does the job :S but I am looking for something that will allow me to setup groups of port fowarding and setup multiple IP's easily.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful or I will go out and get a £60 linksys one.

Up until recently I was using a Linksys BEFSR41 (which I am
incidentally now selling on ebay :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5721893516&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT),
but decided it wasn't flexible enough. Instead I now have an old (way
overspecced) P233 with 256MB RAM running Debian Woody. It has two
cheapo network cards and bridges my local intranet to the big wide
world. It does DHCP/NAT and pretty much nothing else. The port
forwarding is pretty easy, I just ssh to it and copy/paste two lines
(iptables) in and it's done.

The Linksys router was great, but it only has 10 entries for port
forwarding, which is no good for me, as I need to forward lots of
ports all over the LAN. It's also nice having a proper computer
because then I can run extra stuff like BIND for DNS, squid for
proxying etc etc..

Cheers,
Al.