[Sussex] Distros

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Apr 4 17:48:03 UTC 2005

Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> writes:

> Ah yes, Debian those evil, bad, nasty people distributing free software
> yet not wanting to distribute GFDL'd docs.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-12/msg00433.html
>
> Is he a Debian developer too then?

No, and as it happens I am a member of that list and am well aware of
David's (and others) views.

No one is excluded from having a view, but the fact remains that he is
talking about the spirit and not the legality of the matter.  The
problem he's discussing is that the GFDL makes it hard for the
GNU/Emacs manual to be reused in part by the XEmacs project.

I accept that this is a real problem and I'm really not here to bash
the Debian project, I just want to make it clear that it is the Debian
project that predominantly promotes the idea that the GFDL is somehow
unsuitable for GPL documentation, the fact that many GPL projects are
documented in GFDL licensed documents is living proof that it can be done.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org