[Sussex] Distros

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Apr 5 15:02:48 UTC 2005

"Gareth Ablett" <Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk> writes:

> With this many posts I thought I better say something at some point or
> be left out completely.

Welcome to the game ;-)

> Personally for myself I don't mind spending money on games and relies
> that most games require a team of people to put hard work and effort
> into to produce these games, to some extent completely different to
> software that is created and produced by people all over the world for
> free.

Hmm, really they are only different in that they contain a large
amount of non-code content and they target different markets.  The FSF
feels the same way about games as everything else, they just aren't as
bigger priority.

> What I would like to see is my the good games for instance World of
> Warcraft that I'm playing at the moment has a Windows and Mac version,
> I'd imagine the extra effort of porting to linux isn't too hard
> considering the Mac port but again I don't expect to see it happen, as
> is the same with other popular games.

It's not the porting effort, but support that puts off game
developers.  The cost versus the benefit in terms of sales is not
really worth it to them.

Many of the larger companies are moving away from the Mac and
even Windows in favour of the consoles because an environment that is
_that_ locked down is far easier to support.

> Ok this sidetracks from the FSF but at then end of the day the price of
> games is less then what you pay for say the latest release of Photoshop
> CS2, so I can see why FSF are putting there effort into applications
> rather then homes.

Frankly the FSF isn't about saving money, cheapness is a virtue when
it allows people access the wouldn't otherwise have, but we explicitly
don't care if software costs £0 or £10,000 if it's "free as in speech".

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org