[Sussex] Brief introduction and Ubuntu question...

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 11:33:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 12:11 +0100, Angelo Servini wrote:

> I couldn't agree more, and is a practice I will take up in future.
> But, I will still moan to other manufacturers maybe even the press,
> because the more profile we give it the more attention it draws to our cause.
> Then, maybe pigs'll fly, but we will someday get an event free installation
> - regardless of the kit a PC is made up of.  I mean, b*** 'ell, getting
> a Speedtouch USB modem to connect (entering the required strings into bash)
> is rather like a crash course in ancient sanskerit.  Not that I would recognise sanskerit in the first place!  :-|

Now there, I'd disagree Angelo. Because one of the reasons I started
using mandrake (8.2) was because I'd understood that it supported
Speedtouch USB devices (8.2 support was broken, but 9.0 wasn't).

Yes, it took me (yes me, self proclaimed "nugget") a couple of days, but
I managed to get my one (the old turquiose cowpat type one) configured
and connected.

In truth, the only reason why it ended up getting relegated to on top of
a pile of books, was because it used to annoy the hell out of me when it
would take forever to resync if I booted between linux and windows, but
it worked fine for a good 12 months.

regards

John D.