[Sussex] Twisted Firestarter

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun Apr 10 22:46:17 UTC 2005

Thomas,

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:27:14 +0100
Thomas Adam <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:10:47AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > "Failed to run /usr/sbin/firestarter as user root: Child terminated
> > with 1 status."
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Some.  How are you trying to invoke firestarter?  Is it as user root,
> or via sudo, or su?  Remember that with su (and hence trying to run a
> graphical program) it's better [1] to use: su -m, so that your
> X-credentials are not modified in the inherited environment, allowing
> root to start the program.

I got Firestarter going by invoking from the root terminal in Ubuntu.
It's all set up & running now, thanks.

It's another of those apps that get added to the "Applications" menu in
X/Gnome/Icewm or whatever, but actually need to be started from a
terminal. Catches me out every time - I always presume that, if an app
is listed in the applications menu, then it can be started from there.

Gavin.