[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 10:28:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 09:48 +0100, David Chapman wrote:

> I don't think you do.
> The NVidia are well supported cards. The file you might be thinking of is
> NVidia's own driver which will give you a better display and 3D.
>
> Can you give us the error message
> Login as root and type startx
> Then post the error message to the list.

Erm, one additional thing, the nvidia driver is only using provided on
disc when you get a boxed set version - I can't say for SuSE, but that's
definitely the case for Mandrake/Mandriva - and in their case, it's
pre-configured and everything (as well as some of the other proprietary
but free things like realplayer, adobe acrobat, speedtouch support etc
etc.

The error (yes I'm guessing here) sounds like the one you get when you
haven't installed the nvidia driver i.e. No screens found etc etc. You
can initially get away with looking in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You have
to scroll down to the driver section and then change the driver to
"nv" (with the quotes). That usually provides an acceptable (ish)
graphic login facility - you'd still have to do startx in the command
line input.

The nvidia driver would be too big to put on a floppy anyway!, plus you
would also need to check out the readme file at the same location as the
driver.

As for the speedtouch, that, I can't really help with, as it's been over
2 years since I used mine - but if I remember correctly, there's a
wealth of possible info if you do a search for speedtouch USB at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php as lots of people have
battled with it since "they" released the microcode (you can actually
use the code from the install disc - if you have one), but rather than
try to explain it, you'd probably be better checking LQ.

regards

John D.

p.s. any replies you get on how to configure samba, well I'll be keeping
an eye open, because I still have managed to do that either!