[Sussex] Connecting Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.1 [Was: Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP]

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Thu Apr 14 10:02:53 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

>>Or 8 if you want 100Mbps.

No, that's a myth. Full Duplex 100Mbs uses 4 wires.

> I thought that 100Mbps was due to the quality of the wire not to
> the number.

Correct.

> I ask because I think you can have Power Over Ethernet (PoE) over
> standard Cat5(E) cable.

Indeed, PoE transfers data on Category 5 Ethernet cable pairs 1/2 and 3/6 as
normal and power is transmitted on unused Ethernet pairs 4/5 and 7/8.

The standard is for 48 volt power distribution with regulators at the
receiving end (this reduces current in the cable and thus losses). However
there are lots of home-brew systems where people have built their own
hardware just to avoid having to get power to a WAP.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 Those that know binary, and those that don't.