[Sussex] Rantting

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Apr 14 12:44:50 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> writes:

> Geoff

> Okay, I do agree that is isn't the GUI interface but the use we make of
> them that is the problem.

Excellent.  This will be a short response then :-)

> I have often be told that people resist change.  I don't think I do, I
> have often changed the way I do something one someone shows me a better
> way. But if the majority of people resist change and the GUI opened up
> computing to these people are they what is holding back the development
> of a better computer/human interface?

Possibly.  The problem is, that they were introduced to WIMP when they
had never used a computer before - they were prepared (or forced) to
learn it.  Now these same people think they know how to use a
computer, they think that what they know is "user friendly" because
they know it (a similar argument can be made about anyone who suggests
that mutt, vi, emacs, gnus, etc. etc.. is in any way an intuitive
environment).

This is quite a major problem for _any_ software that isn't
"Windows".  There was an article just recently about how computing
virgins are far more likely to get on with Linux:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39187298,00.htm

> Looks cool.  Two questions:
>
> 1). How much does it cost? - Couldn't see a price on their website,
> and

In the UK it's available from the BackStore (based in Kemp Town,
Brighton):

http://www.thebackstore.co.uk/?group=30

But I'm afraid they are £249 + shipping, not a trivial purchase.  I've
held off for as long as possible, but my hand is giving me problems
and I'm told I need a zero impact keyboard.  As this one also has an
emacs mode and is very Linux friendly (bear in mind that I spend all day
in emacs on linux at work) it had to be the one to go for.

> 2). Can you bring it along to a moot and show it off?

Possibly.  When it arrives I will judge how feasible it is to carry it
around without damaging it.  I would like to take it home with me at
night so I can use it there as well as at work.  I cannot afford two
of them right now and a significant amount of "re-learning" is
required to get used to typing on a zero-impact, zero-feedback
device.  If this proves to be OK the it shouldn't be a problem to bring
it to the LUG.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com