[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Apr 14 15:46:02 UTC 2005

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> writes:

> All,
>
> I'm starting to learn C++ and wondered if anyone had suggestions for
> IDE's that play nicely.
>
> I realise that to do it the proper way I should probably use EMACS or
> VI, but I'm finding it difficult enough learning programming to have
> time to learn a new advanced editor, so I'm really looking for a GUI.

OK.. I _could_ recommend some IDE's.

Here's some advice though.

1. Don't learn a language in an IDE
===================================

The IDE will colour your understanding horribly.  Moreover you'll find
that (just as with vi or emacs) you'll spend a lot of time learning
how to use the tool (or work around it's problems) and won't really
learn the language.

If you're learning to program C++ on linux then you need to
understand g++ and you probably will eventually need to learn GNU
Make, Autoconf, Automake, libtool, etc. etc.

Skipping this stuff might make your progress quicker with the basics,
but you'll founder as soon as you try to do any serious work.

Emacs and VI won't colour you in this way, but (emacs at least) will
give you a lot of the power of an IDE without the bad aspects.  Even
so, I would take your own advice

2. Don't learn C++ unless you have to.
======================================

If you're just trying to learn to program then I'd recommend an easier
language, python or even C# (Mono is pretty good and Ed Dumbhill's
book is great).  C++ is great, and powerful, but it is also vast and
flexible enough to get lost in for several lifetimes.

3. If you need to learn C++ then join the ACCU
If you need to learn C++ I'd advise you to join the ACCU.  We have a
mentoring scheme that allows developers of all levels to develop their
skills with support and advice from old pros.

http://www.accu.org

4. Be careful where you learn from
==================================
Be warned many, many C++ books will teach you a style of C++ that
archaic and frowned upon by serious, "High Church"  C++ developers.

... having said that.  If you must use an IDE the two best ones for
C++ on linux are:

Kdevelop:       http://www.kdevelop.org

and..

Eclipse CDT:    http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/