[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Thu Apr 14 19:05:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:20:11PM +0100, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> It's not crap - the way C++ is used in the real world varies massively
> from company to company and from developer to developer and the scope
> for variation is far greater than with Perl, despite that illustrious
> languages motto.

I wasn't suggesting Perl is any better than C++ -- I prefer C++ to
anything.  My point with reference to Perl was that it can be just as
obfuscated or "harder" (if not as hard) to learn as C++ -- it seemed
silly to single out C++ in this way.

> None of this is to say "Do not learn C++", but "Do not learn C++
> unless you have to", which probably should have the additional caveat
> "or unless you really want to". Certainly I wouldn't recommend C++ as
> your first programming experience.

Interesting.  Technically (although not true in my case) I would
probably say my first language was Java.  Is this anymore succinct than
C++?  Unbdoubtedly it has just the same pitfalls as C++ has.  But I
managed it, and it wasn't too bad.

As a "first" language, conceptually one could start off with anything
they like, as (presumably) they probably won't know much different.  If,
on the other hand, they have used a programming language before, then
all well the better.  Every language has their idioms, I have yet to
find one which is based solely upon them.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"