[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Apr 14 22:58:09 UTC 2005

Rupert

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:46:49AM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> > This is very true.  Stroustrup's "C++ Programming Language" is the
> > bible, but it is more a reference guide when you know what you're doing
> > than a starter guide.  I learnt C++ so long ago that I wouldn't even
> > attempt to recommend a book to teach the subject.
> >
> If you're a cheapskate like I was when I started, get an ancient book
> about C from the public library. It will have been written in 198x, but
> will give you a thorough grounding in memory management, functions,
> pointers etc. that most C++ books that I've seen friends with seem to
> ignore as being 'too difficult' (or beyond the 24 hours they claim to take!)

Well if you're going that route (and it isn't a bad route to take 'cos
it's the way I learnt) then if you come across "The C programming Language"
by Kernighan & Ritchie it is a very good starting point.  My copy is old,
very old, copyright 1978 - hereinafter refered to as original K&R, but it
is well written by the two people that developed the C language.

> gcc will cope happily with C and once you know that well, C++ isn't too
> big a step up - just use what you need from the STL.

Why not, gcc is a *C* and C++ compiler.

> Warning: If you want to learn C/C++ (and I _really_ recommend it), don't
> expect pretty graphics any time soon. The libraries tend to be wierd and
> wonderful - you'll be 'printf'ing for some time yet!

It is always a good idea to learn the basics and learn them well before
moving on to using libraries.

You will receive a legacy which will place you above want.