[Sussex] Linux IDE's

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Apr 15 08:36:20 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Teale wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 00:46 +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>

>No!  Sure you can printf, but "NO!" and I repeat "NO!".
>
>If you walk away from a C++ book and your first instinct is to go:
>
>  printf("Foo %s\n", bar);
>
>.. instead of:
>
>  std::cout << "Foo " << bar << std::endl;
>
>..then you should go and read another book or be prepared to justify
>this usage very strongly when you come to an interview.  This is a very
>trivial example of the problem I'm talking about.  It's not that printf
>is inherently bad, it's just that it's not the way C++ programmers
>should think.  BTW, if your justification for using the C style was that
>it's shorter then, sorry, you don't get the job.

I'd recomend:

Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example
By: Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo
*ISBN:* 020170353X

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/020170353X/026-6130070-5563669?%5Fencoding=UTF8

P.

--

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.