[Sussex] Re: Wireless Woes

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Sun Apr 17 16:31:31 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

> --------------<snip>......Any help or ideas anyone has would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Rupert.......<snip>............
>
> You want the card to be in infrastructure mode for use with an AP, not
> ad-hoc.
> Ad-hoc is only for using direct link 1 pc to another - no AP.
> Then, have you tried "pump -i wlan0" ? (depending on your install - if
> you have pump ?) This will ask the AP for an IP.
> What does iwconfig give?
> Your /etc/network/interfaces should be OK?? - 'auto wlan0' and
> 'iface wlan0 inet dhcp'
>
> But mainly, you won't get dhcp'd an IP from the AP if you have it in ad-hoc.
> Change to infrastructure & let us know from there?
>
> Paul.M

Thanks for the answer. Looking at the iwconfig man page, there didn't
appear to be an 'infrastructure' option. Should I use "auto" ? Or am I
missing something?

I tried using auto at any rate, and iwconfig now gives:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"swarbrickwireless"
          Mode:Auto  Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 05:40:A1:FF:FF:FF
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
          Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality=98/100  Signal level=-35 dBm Noise level=-254 dBm

When I run pump -i wlan0, I get "Operation Failed" at the console and
dmesg gives these lines:

rtl8180: Bringing up iface
rtl8180: Card successfully reset
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present