[Sussex] Elderly Aunts with computer problems (windows ones :-( )

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Apr 18 11:56:57 UTC 2005

Hi

On Mon, 18 April, 2005 8:52, John D. said:
> partition for her data "a la linux" like a seperate /home, does that
> logic still hold for windows systems, if she were to have any other

Not really. You can obviously tell things to save your files to your D:
drive (or whatever letter it gets), but it's not the same as having /home
on a separate partition. You can get it closer by changing the registry to
repoint things like My Documents to the drive and on newer windows
versions you can put your profile into another directory, but nothing will
protect you from stupid software that assumes it is installed on C: and
all its files are going on C:
So, I'd say that encouraging her to keep backups on the 128mb keys is more
likely to save everything she wants in the event of a failure.

> Also, as this main missing .dll is .Net framework related, would it
> perhaps be better to just try and download and install the .Net stuff?

Sure, but you'll be wanting to take the PC to a decent net connection
first. Even if not for that, the re-install will leave you downloading a
lot of stuff, from patches to IE to service packs to all the tools you
need to make a PC safe, etc, etc. :/

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones