[Sussex] DVDram

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 23:39:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 04:15:28PM +0100, David Chapman wrote:
> Can anybody give me pointers to using a dvdram drive under linux as I just
> fitted an Hitachi
> I can use it OK as DVD/CD drive but am wondering about the correct fstab entry
> to be able to write to it.
> I have installed udftools and can format a disc from the command line OK

I'm not really sure about DVD writing, but if it's anything like
writing a CD, you don't need an fstab entry to write since your
burning software is writing directly to the dvdram device without any
mounting involved.

Here's a few sample fstab entries which should work depending on your
/dev layout.

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/dvdram      auto         noauto,user,ro 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/dvdram      udf         noauto,user,ro 0 0
/dev/hdc      /mnt/dvdram      auto         noauto,user,ro 0 0

Hope this helps,
Alan