[Sussex] Elderly Aunts with computer problems (windows ones :-( )

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 18 09:52:50 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

>My Aunt has an aging computer (from Evesham). She decided that she
>wanted a DVDRW fitted - this was done by her local shop.
>
>Somewhere along the line, shes lost some .dll files and has been
>recommended to re-install (W98SE). The missing file (the main one
>apparently) is the mscoree.dll, which, as far as I can tell is something
>to do with the .Net framework I haven't managed to work out why that
>might cause dvd burning problems (she didn't say what the other missing
>files were, as she thinks she knows what they are). Shes not confident
>to do a re-install herself, and lucky me, has been enlisted to assist.
>
>Shes not really worried about any of the files etc that shes produced,
>and seems to have a couple of cruzer sandisk 128 meg key drives to put
>her most precious photos (she likes digital photography/image editing)
>on.
>
>My real question, is that if I do the re-install, but prior to that, I
>shrink the file system with partition magic and then make a seperate
>partition for her data "a la linux" like a seperate /home, does that
>logic still hold for windows systems, if she were to have any other
>problems like this? (perhaps I should have just said "is there any point
>in having a seperate data partition).

John,

I wouldn't recommend a second partition for users with this level of
knowledge. I've done it myself and found that all that happens is that
the (now smaller) C: drive fills up quicker whilst the D: drive remains
empty. Before you do anything here I'd suggest you back up all the
necessary data to either:

1. A portable computer via network.
2. USB external hard disk.

Either of these would allow you to burn to a DVD writer in a more
reliable machine.

I would also question whether an ageing PC will be able to stuff data at
the DVD-RW drive quickly and reliably enough.

Before you re-install, try the following.

1. Carry out a search for mscoree.dll on your Aunt's computer. If it is
missing from c:\windows\system you might find an earlier version copied
to the system somewhere.
2. If you do find a copy, copy it to c:\windows\system.
3. Alternatively you could try the attached mscoree.dll, but only do
this if you can't find a local copy.
4. Run the command:
     c:\windows\system\regsvr32.exe mscoree.dll

This should re-register the missing .dll, and should cure the problem.

Steve W.