[Sussex] RE: Cleaning recommendation?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Apr 19 23:16:27 UTC 2005

Frances

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:47:32PM +0100, Fleming, Frances wrote:
> Carting the boxes outside is a must (Alan) otherwise I will be
> transferring the dust from one to the other :)
>
> I don't know what the temps should be, Gareth, none of my machines are
> very powerful.

Temp sensors are relatively new - your older machines may not have them.

> Finally, Colin, why should I carry the mains leads out into the yard
> to reattach to the PCs if they are not going to be switched on? Will
> it make a difference?

The idea of keeping the mains leads plugged in is that it provides an
earthing route.  Should anything you do create a static charge then that
charge has a way to ground.

Just run an extension lead out to the area you're working in.  Don't
switch it on at the plug if you can help it, you don't want the power,
just the route to earth.  I seam to remember seeing a green LED light
inside those Dell's of yours even when powered off.  If you see anything
that looks like it has power don't unplug anything!  (see below).

> I shall leave all this until next weekend and knuckle down to it then.

Good idea.  And just to add to it don't forget your monitor.  It has all
those nice air vents to let the warm air out and that brick dust in.

> Again, thanks very much; it seemed a daunting task on my own, but you've
> helped.

You're going have to take your systems to bits.  Once you know what you're
doing it's easy, but from the type of questions you were asking at the BCF
I am guessing you're still climbing the learning curve.  Don't worry, we
were all there once.

Here are some helpful hints:

1). Before removing anything draw a picture of what it looks like assembled.
It will slow you down, but will help you put the system back together.

2). Don't disassemble anything out side.  It is very easy to drop tiny
screws.  They can be a bugger to find at the best of times, I would
hate to think how you could managed that on grass.  If you have access
to a garage or shed (esp with power inside) then do it there.

3). Have three areas: disassembly, vacuum, and assembly.  The vacuum area
needs to be separate from the assembly as a vacuum cleaner does pump the
finer dust partials into the air to settle out again.

4). Don't be anal about getting ride of all the dust.  You'll be amazed
at how quickly it will get messy again.  Machines that have been running
for months will have a lot of normal dust in them.

When I clean out a machine I just blew the surface dust away using my own
lung power.  Don't be tempted to clean to the shine - you might damage to
the circuit board trying to get stubborn dust off.

5). Take all advice with a pinch of salt, and just do what you feel
comfortable doing.  You can always bring a system along to the moot
to have one of the "experts" check it out.

Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about.
		-- Philippe Schnoebelen