[Sussex] APC Smart-UPS 1000 Problems

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 11:43:56 UTC 2005

Sounds to me very much like a dead battery job.  We've faced similar
problems at work, which only get thrown up by failures during a weekend
test or when the power glitches and we discover a powered off server.
The current principal where I work learnt that if we say the batteries
need replacing we're not joking.  The phase the servers were on got
tripped about 10 minutes before he was due to make an important
presentation, using a ppt file we stupidly had only got stored on the
servers (since then I've always made sure at least a day in advance to
have an off-line copy of any presentation..)  Batteries we'd pretty much
known were dead failed to keep the servers up.  The very next day some
money suddenly appeared in our budget for replacement batteries..