[Sussex] Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 22 03:11:20 UTC 2005

Alan

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:25:21PM +0100, Alan F wrote:
> Well this has totally left me out of ideas. I'm trying to work out the
> mapping stuff in debian's /etc/network/interfaces. I have this simple
> shellscript which returns the value of something ($1) which was
> specified on the kernel boot line. The idea behind this is that I can
> specify ath0=home or ath0=work at the boot line and debian will
> configure my wireless settings accordingly.

May I suggest a different approach.  At a place I use to work a
friend used "divine" to do what you're trying to do.

Here is it's description:
  A utility to locate current network address via arp requests
  and perform light reconfigurations based on its findings.

  "divine" is intended for laptop users or people who use their
  machines in different networks all the time. It is meant to
  be run from the PCMCIA network initialization scripts.

  For more information see: http://www.fefe.de/divine

There is also the package "intuitively" that aims to do the
same thing (and there maybe more).

Davis's Dictum:
	Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves.