[Sussex] Git!

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Apr 22 15:27:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:26 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> If it wasn't for the fact that Linus and Larry McVoy seem to get on
> reasonably well the name could be taken as a comment ;) ...or is that
> just me?

:-)

Well, it could be my high temperature addling my brain, but I'm going to
go completely off the beaten track and suggest it could be a reference
to Linus himself.

Although he is Finnish he is from the Swedish enclave of Helsinki (the
duck pond).  His family is southern Swedish and he may be implying a
relationship to Beowulf.  Beowulf was, of course, a Geat (a southern
Swedish tribe pronounced, "git") by birth.

See here for details:

http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~beowulf/main.html

... if you trawl around this sight for a bit you'll find all the host
names in my network (I use the anglicised forms for obvious reasons).
Around here Beowulf is a big dual Xeon workstation, this laptop is
halfdane and grendel is a sun ultra5 :-)

--
Geoffrey Teale <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation