[Sussex] Debian /etc/network/interfaces

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 15:32:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:29:39AM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, 21 April, 2005 22:25, Alan F said:
> > auto lo ath0 eth0
> >
> > mapping ath0
> > iface ath0-home inet dhcp
> > iface ath0-work inet dhcp
> > So the script seems to be working fine. But for some reason, my wireless
> > settings aren't being configured. :-\
>
> Looking at that, I'm wondering how it is supposed to know that ath0 is
> actually eth0.
> If you do an ifconfig -a after booting you may actually find an ath0
> device up and with an address associated, but you will probably also have
> a blank eth0.
> If my reading of the man page (man 5 interfaces) is correct, changing
> "mapping ath0" to "mapping eth0" and removing ath0 from the auto line will
> correct the problem.

I gave that a go and unfortuntely no change. :-|

ath0 really is ath0, the internal atheros wireless chip. eth0 is the
ethernet adapter which uses the extremely new and experimental b44
driver which crashes quite often, so I don't even load it on boot.

The debugging stuff I added to the script shows that the init.d
networking script does run it for the ath0 interface and everything
seems fine, that's why I'm so stumped. :)

I must say, this laptop does have pretty bad non-windows support
(much the manufacturers fault). The pheonix BIOS has a broken ACPI
table apparently, so no ACPI. Keyboard support in the stock NetBSD
2.0.2 kernel is broken and it refuses to boot for some other reason I
haven't worked out yet. Finally, the ATI-IXP sound card is supported,
but the headphone jack on it isn't! In Windows, you plug a set of
headphones in and sound will shift from the internal speakers to the
them. Linux remains totally oblivious to their presence and happily
keeps playing sound through the speakers, I guess that's a bug/missing
feature in the driver, though. Still seems strange to not hardcode
that onto the chip.

Alan