[Sussex] Steve Ballmer using Linux in public

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 19:49:12 UTC 2005

Paul Tansom wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 22:11 +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
>

>>Andrew Guard wrote:
>>

>>>On display at this year's MMS event was Virtual Server 2005 Service Pack
>>>1, due for release later this year. Virtual Server 2005 Service Pack 1 was
>>>demonstrated on stage running with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced
>>>Server 3.
>>>

>>Nice to see they've seen the light :D
>>

>Is it? Where would you stand on the motives/benefits of a Microsoft
>produced Linux distribution?

To be fair, I don't think that there's any particular expectation that
MS will produce a Linux distribution. I suspect that Virtual Server is
about as far as they'll go in the next 3-5 years.

Personally, I'm not convinced that the numbers of server virtualisation
stack up (irrespective about whether we're talking about the MS product
or the IBM one or whatever.)

SANs and Blade Arrays are dropping dramatically in price to the level
where they already make good sense in big server farms. (The economics
seem to cut in that they make sense once you are deploying more than
about a dozen servers)  Why would I take on the extra burden of a
virtualisation server when I could have an integrated blade/SAN array
with dynamic image binding between the two?

M.