[Sussex] CD-R in Ubuntu

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Apr 26 03:17:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:44:20 +0100
Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Well, I've R'd the FMs, in fact quite a few. I've checked settings,
> permissions, to the point of distraction.
>
> I installed k3b & it looks very nice, but it isn't a happy bunny - it
> just gives nicer error messages:
>
> k3b finds the device with no problem (for the record, it's a Lite-On
> SOHC 5232K DVDROM/CD-R/RW combo Rev NH05), but when I go to burn an
> audio CD it says that any type of write mode is illegal or "not
> supported", be it DAO, TAO, RAW or anything else. It also moans about
> an error decoding the audio files (although I suspect that doesn't
> necessarily have much to do with the CD-R drive itself).
>
> Attempts to use cdrecord & cdrdao directly have also brought forth
> general grumpiness of a similar nature.
>
> Looking at the device manager (is this Hal?) in Ubuntu, it seems to
> recognise the drive correctly: it has a "1" by CD-R, CD-RW & DVD read.
> k3b similarly seems to understand what the drive is, it just can't
> talk to it.
>
> At this point, I am completely mystified & would appreciate any help
> on correct settings that could be offered.
>
> I have altered /etc/fstab several times in the hope that it would
> help. I notice that in /etc/group, that cdrom has my user name & hal
> listed next to it. Is this Hal thing good or bad; does it work
> properly? Or is there some silly thing that I have missed?
>
> Could Gnome be the problem?
>
> This CD writing problem is a shame, because I am otherwise having huge
> fun with audio in Ubuntu.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 4.10 Warty, kernel 2.6.8.1. The installation was a
> standard installation & I have only added software via Synaptic. ALSA,
> OSS & esound were installed as standard.
>
> My PC is a modern machine: Intel P4 2.8GHz, Intel D875PBZ motherboard,
> 512MB RAM.
>
> TIA for any help,

I did another Google search on this problem & found a whole thread on an
Ubuntu forum relating to this very problem (don't know why it didn't
appear when I searched before).

Anyway, it seems that there could be a problem with the 2.6.8.1 kernel
that came with Ubuntu 4.10 Warty regarding IDE CD writing.

I'm going to get a CD of Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary & see if that fixes the
problem. In the meantime, it seems that SCSI emulation is the one thing
left to try for now.