[Sussex] Partitioning reshuffle + Possible Distro Change (maybe)?

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:09:21 UTC 2005

On 25/04/05, John D. <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Further to my previous post about having to change my partitioning
> scheme, it occurred to me that it might be a good opportunity to have
> another "go" at something Debian based.

Having read your mail I'd suggest that if you really like KDE then go
for Kubuntu over Knoppix. You're right in that Knoppix is a hybrid of
various bits and bobs from different flavours of Debian which would
making converting Knoppix to genuine Debian a little nasty, but in the
long term do-able. Kubuntu has the benefit that you get your packages
from the Ubuntu team (and some from Debian if you choose to) out of
the box, so no faffing (and potential knoppix-style disasters).

I have not tried Kubuntu myself, but am now a user of (G)Ubuntu on two
main daily-use machines and am very happy with it. I started with
Warty and upgraded recently to Hoary which was a monster update, as
expected, but went pretty much without hitches.

Given that {K|G}Ubuntu will be getting a new release every six months
which you can easily upgrade to, unlike Debian or Knoppix, I know what
I'd install.

Cheers,
Al.