[Sussex] Partitioning reshuffle + Possible Distro Change (maybe)?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Wed Apr 27 02:01:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 03:15:55PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> If I was to make an apt-sources list that had both testing and
> unstable, is it the case of it would go for unstable if nothing is
> available in testing and/or vice versa?

The order depends on pinning if you mix sources together.  This is
something you want to try and avoid.  Of course, as a general rule, you
should NOT go mixing different versions of Debian over.  While there is
a theoretical safeness to mixing Unstable and Testing (same version of
GLIBC) dependencies are always in a state of flux in Unstable, and you
just shouldn't do it. Pick one or t'other -- "Sarge" in your case, John.

> Or is that likely to cause apt to get confused and screw things up ??

See above.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"