[Sussex] Sign up for the Moot NOW!

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:01:27 UTC 2005

Paul Tansom wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:51 +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>I also note the lack of Red Hat on the distro's page :O
>

> Anything to do with the fact that the quality of the distribution has
> gone down since version 6? I tried 7 briefly and moved on to Debian some
> time ago so haven't used 8 or 9, but I've had to work with RHEL 3
> Workstation recently and found myself saddened at what had happened to
> it. I guess it is the focus towards large business usage, but the range
> of packages available through the package management seems sadly lacking
> and support is only available to you if you have purchased hardware off
> their supported hardware list.

Yup, because of the masses of different hardware configurations out
there, we require it to be certified to provide full support, and
certainly if it's a hardware releated issue.

> OK, so this is largely a light hearted leg pulling comment (especially
> since I've just noted your email address!), but having been a Red Hat
> user in the past I am now working on migrating all the machines I
> support that use it away from it because, ignoring some peoples
> ideological objections, I don't consider the distribution to be a
> particularly good one anymore - not for my usage anyway.

Yes, my email address... *ahem*

Obviously any comments I make about the distro will be biased, however,
I've found Fedora a very nice system to work with, but for myself (and
I'm sure others) it requires a change in the way you work if you're used
to other systems, i.e. Slackware / xBSD as I am.

> OK, I knew I should have stopped reading my mail, but I really didn't
> expect to find a Red Hat one to set me off again :o

hehe... ;)

> btw, if there's any info that may make my life supporting RHEL 3
> Workstation easier I'd be more than happy to hear it (on or off list)
> since I don't think the workstation clients I'm supporting are going to
> be switching distro any time soon, even though the RH support won't help
> with problems because the hardware is unsupported. (They told me an IDE
> cdwriter wasn't supported by RH because it wasn't detected on install
> and suggested I switch to Fedora - the problem when I investigated
> further turned out to simply be the need to enable idescsi!).

Sadly, I don't work in support, so there's not much help I can offer :(

Jon