[Sussex] This is appalling... Dutch Pass iPod Tax

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Apr 29 15:17:30 UTC 2005

Gareth Ablett wrote:

> From: Paul Turner [mailto:pturner at rentokil.com]
> Subject: [Sussex] This is appalling... Dutch Pass iPod Tax
>

>>Just read this on slashdot:
>>
>>An anonymous reader writes /"The Register is reporting that in a few
>>short months a proposal to tax all MP3 players in the Netherlands will
>>become law
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/27/netherlands_ipod_tax/
>>
>>The levy taxes 3.28 euros ($4.30 US) for every gigabyte of capacity.
>>

>This
>

>>means a 60GB iPod Photo will be hit for an additional 196 euros
>>

>($258),
>

>>all of it going to the record industry's copyright collection
>>

>agencies.
>

>>And they call file sharers thieves?"
>>
>>http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/04/29/0537213.shtml?tid=176&tid=98/
>>

>I can see the reason behind it with the amount of illegal mp3 downloads
>still going on but that would probably just stop people buying the damn
>things.
>
>Anyway isn't an iPod photo for storage of photos aswell so technically
>if one was not to use for music then they shouldn't charge.

I can see the reasoning behind it too.

But consider this.  What do they classify as an mp3 player?

I have recently purchased a new PC with a 160GB harddisk that came
pre-installed with the software to play mp3's.  Technically from an mp3
playing perspective there's not much difference, a hard disk and some
pre installed software/firmware.

Now under the proposed Dutch law I would pay 524.80 EUR, about 350.00
GBP additional tax.  Thats more than I paid in total!

And this is already happening in Germany, there is a tax on all hard
drives (I don't kow how much).

I appreciate that mp3 priacy is a _BIG_ problem, but we could all end up
paying for it indirectly in the long term if this sets a precident..

And if I people do end up paying extra hundreds of pounds in an
anti-priacy tax, I could easily see this actually encourging piracy...

--

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader

EMail: pturner at rentokil.com DDI: +44 (0) 1342 332 677 Telephone: +44 (0)
1342 327 171 Fax: +44 (0) 1342 332 551

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.